Sunday, July 8, 2012

SIMON SAYS SHOW MORE THAN ONE LAYER

Don't you just LOVE Mondays so you can see what Simon Says Stamp and Show has for your challenge this week?  Well...without further adieu ... this week is all about layers.  

Last week I focused on Dyan Reaveley and her wonderful Dylusions line of products.  This week ... I chose to focus on someone who I think is a creative genius.  I totally love his products.  From his die cuts to his stamps and every piece of Ideaology and ink colors in between; I admire and respect the creative vision of TIM HOLTZ.  

I had a bit of a dilemma because I've been dying to try out my new Tim Holtz In The Bag die cut.  But, I could not load it up with a bunch of layers of "stuff" because it would fall over.  But, I R-E-A-L-L-Y wanted to use the die cut!  So ... I decided to make my layers out of things like inks, markers and stamping rather than lots of dimensional elements.

   Front view

So, this is what I ended up with ... a really cute little paper bag that is the perfect size to hold ATCs among other small things.  The finished size of this bag is 3x4 and approximately 3/4" deep.  The size is so stinkin' cute!

I started out using a piece of paper from Tim Holtz' Kraft Resist Paper Stash.  It was the perfect base for creating more and more layers.


Here is just the basic paper bag cut from the die cut...folds are already scored for you.  LOVE IT!

I used Broken China and Wild Honey Distress Inks as my background colors to create my first layer.  Next, I wiped off the excess ink, exposing the resist pattern that is already printed on the paper pad.  How is THAT for a cool texture and layer?  Next I added another subtle layer by spraying Blue Patina Perfect Pearls Mist over the bag.  It adds a subtle shimmer to the surface and gives it a beautiful iridescent quality.Then I ran a black cats eye ink pad along the score lines and edges to make them pop.  It's much easier to create your design for your paper bag while it is still flat ... so that is what I did.

   Background before and after other layers have been added.

Ready for my next layer!  I pulled out my Tim Holtz Stamps and gathered up a few of them that I wanted to use to begin buuilding the background.  His Ultimate Grunge stamp set has so many wonderful little background snippets on it.  I used three images off of it .. .the random polka dot, the checkerboard and the mesh.  They are all stamped using Jet Black Archival Ink.  Instead of placing them on an acrylic block, I just held the the stamp in my fingers and randomly rolled it onto the paper bag to pick up portions of the design, not all of it.


When I was happy with the background, I worked on each side.  This is the front of the paper bag.  I used more of Tim's amazing stamps to create my design.  The optical glasses are from his The Countdown stamp set.  Next I stamped the man with the funky birdcage hat onto a piece of manila cardstock.  That image is from Tim's Pen and Pencil stamp set.  I colorized him using several Distress Markers:  Antique Linen, Tumbled Glass, Tea Dye, Worn Lipstick, Tattered Rose, Spiced Marmalade and a touch of Picket Fence.  I cut him out and lined the edges of the paper using the Black Soot Distress Marker.  Then I stamped the image right onto the paper bag front because I wanted the black squiggly lines on either side of the man to appear on the bag.  Then I cut out the man I had stamped and colored and glued him right on top of the stamped image on the bag.  On top of the checkerboard pattern, I heat embossed "POST CARD" from Tim's Postcards stamp set out of Copper Embossing Powder.  I also added a Mini Gear in the middle of one of the optic lenses.  I can't stand to not have metal SOMEWHERE no a project! (smile)  


Here is a closeup of the backside of the paper tag.  I'm sure you recognize Tim's steampunk gentlemen.  I used the smaller version of them from his Warehouse District stamp set.  They are stamped on manila cardstock and colored with Distress Markers then cut out and glued on top of the distressed and gathered doily.  The hot air balloon behind the gentlemen is from Oxford Impressions.  It was the perfect size for this little bag.  It was also stamped on manila cardstock and colored using Broken China and Barn Door Distress Inks and then Distress Markers of the same colors to shade and blend.  Then I heat embossed "Let Yourself Fly" on top of the balloon, creating yet another layer.  I glued them all together and the bag now looked like this ...

  
The last step was to fold the paper bag into it's shape and place the back end over the piece of double sided tape.  Then you just work the bottom tab into the slot that is made for it and it's all done!  Just one piece of tape connects the whole thing!

 Front of the finished bag.

 Back of the finished bag.


Finally, to really add a little bit of dimension and "glitz", I added one more layer to the front and back.  I added some squiggles of Glossy Accents to the left of my steampunk gentleman on the front, just to the left of his shoulder and also at the opposite top corner.  Then I sprinkled some crushed Tea Stained Mica Fragments over them.  On the back, I did the same thing, to the upper left side and the lower right corner of the bag.  I had never used that stuff before but I LOVE it! The picture really doens't pick up the cool texture and shine the mica flakes create.


Layers, layers and more layers ... but very little dimension! Now it's time for you to have a go at layering!


Post your entry to our challenge at Simon Says Stamp and Show.  You could be the winner of our  wonderfully generous weekly prize ....




You might also be honored as one of our TOP THREE artists for the week! 


I can't wait to see you creations!!!  Good luck!



28 comments:

  1. I love this , it is so great and I love the way younhave created inky layers..right up my street...this die looks great another on my wish list!!! Am with you , Tim is inspiring and beyond! Lve your bag...fab fab fab..can yountell I love it!!! Trace x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are always so darn creative. What do they feed you in Springfield ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great bag, its such a different idea, i love it. also thanks for all your ideas on misting, its a great help, i'm definitely gonna try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Candy, what a fabulous interpretation of the theme, layering inks rather than dimensional elements . Love love your layered colours and stamped images, they add so much interest to the background and your images are wonderful. I so love that guy with the cage on his head. Another stunner Candy and I always love popping by to read your step by steps. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous creation Candy. I love the Steampunk images and the layering of inks. Hope to play along once my pc is set up . TFS x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the layered effect without it being so 3-D. You're trying to make me buy this die, aren't you??!!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! this is so incredible, you have me wanting to get a jump on Halloween or Christmas goodie bags! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW this is just so stunning! Amazing Steampunk creation, Candy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Candy, this is some piece, love the way you have interpreted the challenge. Your inky layers are brilliant and it is also useful too for storing ATCs, how fantastic an idea is that and now I want that die too..........A x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your idea of layering color...perfect! This is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this little bag. It is such a creative project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Candy, your layering of inks & stamped images have worked a treat on this project, love that die btw:) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I Love your bag and all it's layers. Stunning! I must get that die next. It is moving to the top of my must get list. Thanks for sharing the steps of your creative process. Now I can come back and case it when I get my die! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such fun... the paper bag die's great, and what you've done with the layered colours is totally gorgeous!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely love this! Look at all those yummy colors blended and layered on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving this gorgeous little bag! Everything about it is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE this! What a cool idea for that die!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing coloring and inking in this bag, Candy! I also love all of the texture stamps that you used!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Heyt there sweetie, Love your Tim Bag love the colors, the fabulous images they all mix so well together, Your such a smart girl with layering your inks the background is amazing. ANOTHER STUNNING PROJECT from one of my favourite ARTISTS, wowzersss Thank you for sharing sweetie, hugs terry xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your layers! That image of the man is to cool.
    Hugs, Dangina

    ReplyDelete
  21. hey Candy, another great project, I have been looing at that die and now think I shall go and get it, it looks awesome. love it.
    mark x

    how are you getting on with Andy? can not wait to see you put it all into practice.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Candy, your bag is very cool!!! The number of layers is amazing!!!! Totally love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your layered bag Candy! So cool. All the stamping and inking is fabulous. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this bag. The imagery and color combinations are superb. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW New York? Lucky! Hope you had a fabulous time and I also Thank You for taking time to respond. Your Awesome!
    Keep up the Gorgeous work :)
    Tons of Hugs, Dangina

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fabulous bag! I have been resisting this die but you make it look eh.... necessary! Really beautiful design.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a gorgeous peace of artwork! Love!!!!


    Greetings from Vienna,

    die amelie xx

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy that you stopped by my blog! I truly appreciate your time and thank you for leaving a comment! Have a wonderfully blessed day!