Saturday, February 19, 2011

GINGERSNAP CHALLENGE - COFFEE AND CREAM

 I am entering this vintage little spool doll in the Gingersnap Challenge for this week:  Coffee and Cream.  The only prerequisite for this week's challenge is that you had to use the coffee and cream color palette as the main colors.  I also added some black because I think black is a great accent color with browns.  I love anything vintage and, in my opinion, these colors together scream "vintage".
The spool doll is made from an old spool of thread.  The face is of a vintage lady that I found online and sized to be the correct size.  I added some Vintage Photo and Spun Sugar Distress Inks to colorize her face a little.  Her arms are from some old vintage paper doll patterns I have.  I made a pattern for her "body" so that it would be the right size. For the bodice of her dress, I folded a small cream round doily in half, added a bit of Vintage Photo Distress to it and it became the 'yolk" and cap sleeves of her dress.  I then added a piece of vintage lace around her neck as a collar and a small old button as a "broach". I finished off her dress with some tulle as a proper skirt for this vintage lass and a bit of sparkly gold ribbon to hide where the paper part and the spool part of the doll connect.   
Behind her head, are varying sizes of scallop die cuts.  The larger is black with gold Stickle accents.  The smaller is cream.  I added a piece of vintage ivory lace, vintage buttons and some cream and black feathers to make her a "fancy" her hair piece.
I also love adding metal to my pieces when appropriate.  So, I added an antique copper dragonfly to one of the sashes of her gold bow and some antique copperish metal hearts on a wire that my vintage lady is holding. 

16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful piece this is! I am just drooling over all that gorgeous vintage lace! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous, Candy! The vintage setting you have her in is fabulous as well! Fantastic piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lori! You are so sweet! Thank you! I took the picture of this little lady in front of one of my lace holders...for lack of a better term. Ha. I LOVE vintage laces...I want to make another spool doll using more laces on her. Thank you so much for the compliments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lois! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kathy...I am a vintage lace hound. I LOVE it! :) This little lady needed a piece of it on her "headpiece" but I was sort of "chensey" on using more of it. haha I'm so glad you stopped by my blog. You are always so encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous art! Thanks for playing the Gingersnap Creations Coffee and Cream Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Gingersnap Stampers...thanks for the comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool piece Candy!

    Hugs,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Shirley for stopping by my blog and checking out my little lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your spool doll is darling, I have some of these and have been trying to figure out what to do with them, Great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Lynn...they are fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun work. Thank you for leaving such kind comments on my work x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Candy,
    I LOVE your spool doll! Of course I would, it's vintage looking! LOL! I have jars of these spools, I need to do something with them... Love all your laces! I need to wipe the drool of my keyboard! :D
    Have a great day!
    Hugs,
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy that you stopped by my blog! I truly appreciate your time and thank you for leaving a comment! Have a wonderfully blessed day!