Tuesday, December 28, 2010

COMPENDIUM OF CURIOUSITIES CHALLENGE #25

Here is my entry into the Compendium of Curiousities Challenge #25 using Tim Holtz' Scribble Stain Distress method on the background of this tag.  I have to admit that I have not used this method very much so it was fun to experiment with it again. I guess with all the cold, wintery weather outside, I am already starting to "Think Spring"!

 
I used Tim's birdcage die and cut it twice. Then I cut away the middle bars of the cage and added a cage door that is open. I glued the door in place but I wrapped some copper wire at the top and bottom joints to add some interest and metal. I love adding metal to pieces! The flowers and buds are from Tim's Tattered Flowers die. I used the smallest one and cut several out of crinolin. I sprayed them using a color spray I made using a mini mister filled with water, a dropper of Broken China and a little bit of Kiwi Perfect Pearls. I added a bit of spray made with Scattered Straw as well. I stamped the birds in dual colors - Frayed Burlap and Broken China and wiped a little bit of Vintage Photo over them.
For a subtle pop of pink and softness, I made a little vine out of Flower Soft and wrapped it in the bird cage bars. Finally, I stamped "THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX" on one of Tim's ticket stamps and added it to a memo pin that fits nicely on the bottom of the bird cage. I love that phrase and I think making the bird cage have an open door was a different use of that die. I glued it all down and added two ribbons at the top colored to match the tag.

16 comments:

  1. What a darling tag. I hope I get a chance to play along too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lynn! The challenges are a lot of fun. I just started with #24. I just love to play around with different things. It's my therapy! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you put all the different elements together to make this cool piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Susan...thank you so much! It was fun to do. Thank you for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I love your tag, your little birds are gorgeous. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Annette! I love birds and using them on pieces. :) Thanks for posting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome tag, Candy! Love the dimension on that bird cage! The birds are just darling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, thanks Lori! I appreciate your stopping by and checking out my tag. :) You always have the nicest things to say! They are much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous tag, love all the elements, i think i may have to investigate your blog further and maybe add you to my list :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Minxy! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'd love to have you add me to your list! I'm glad you like the Where I Come From book. It was really such a "theraputic" (for lack of a better work) thing to do. It gave me such a good feeling as I was doing it...I felt like a kid again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sooooo love this tag you've created! The colors and embellishments are just lovely.

    Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is incredibly creative and...just brilliant! I love that you added the door. I am just madly in love with this tag. Oh...I could go on and on, lol! Your blog is awesome, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...thank you for such a compliment, Shelly! I've seen your work and I am humbled that you like mine so much! You made my morning....a great way to start off the New Year! Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sherry! Thank you so much! I love this technique...and had sort of forgotten about it. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Candy, you've done a fabulous job of evoking spring with this gorgeous tag! I love all the sweet elements you used, and the scribble stained background is fabulous! Brilliant use of the birdcage die, too-- I love how you created the door. And, the crinoline flowers are beautiful!

    This inspires me to move past winter and start using some spring imagery in my crafting! I absolutely love what you created.

    Happy, happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Linda! Gosh...thank you so much for the kinds words! I love birds and anything to do with them...so when I finished the scribble stained background, it was screaming "Put the birdcage and birds on me!" So, I did. haha I'm glad it inspired you! It's making me want to do more bird things too!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy that you stopped by my blog! I truly appreciate your time and thank you for leaving a comment! Have a wonderfully blessed day!