Wednesday, December 15, 2010

COMPENDIUM OF CURIOUSITIES CHALLENGE ~ #24

A VISIT WITH SANTA VINTAGE KEEPSAKE
~ using Rock Candy Stickles ~

Here is my first entry into the Compendium of Curiousities Challenges hosted by L3 Studios. All of these challenges are taken from Tim Holtz' Compendium of Curiousities book.
If you were doing Tim's 12 Tags of Christmas, one of the unique ideas he suggested was using packaging from his products to create art. I loved that idea and wanted to use it in this challenge. So, I took the inside packaging from his Ideaology Time Pieces to create this Vintage Christmas photo keepsake. I added Rock Candy Stickles and a bit of Picket Fence Stickles around the outer edge of the circles to resemble snow or a dreamy feeling of days gone by.
The base is a 5x7 stretched canvas covered with a wonderful paper taken from Tim Holtz'  Seasonal Paper Stash. I covered the paper with Rock Candy Stickles. Then I sized pictures of myself and my brother, my children and my grandchildren sitting on Santa's lap...three generations!
I ran a piece of silver German scrap across the center of the paper, placed my pictures into position and adhered the plastic cover over the Rock Candy stickled paper. Next I used the flowers on  Ten Seconds Studio's  Kabuka Mold #14 to create a border Barn Red sheet metal. That was my basic border. I cut another set of flowers out of the Barn Red sheet metal to create 3D "poinsettias". I sanded the center of the flowers and alcohol inked them with Butterscotch alcohol ink. Next I put Rock Candy Stickles all over the tops of my "poinsettias". After they dried, I cut them out individually so that I could shape them and pop them onto the top of the border. After covering the edges of the canvas with the sheet metal, I hot glued a piece of green tinsel garland in the center of the flower border. Finally, I hot glued the Rock Candy stickled poinsettias in place on top of the green tinsel garland.

6 comments:

  1. That is beautiful, Candy. It looks like it was a lot of fun to make, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww...thanks Shirl! It was fun to make! I can't believe that you can take something like some simple packaging and make something fun out of it! That TIM...he's so smart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap this is gorgeous! It looks like it was so time consuming to make! Love the idea of the packaging, Lord knows I have a ton of it! lol! Just love using the metal on this, really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww..thanks Lori! It was FUN to do and really, it isn't all that complicated. I would have NEVER thought to use left over packaging...but it's pretty sweet when you can use practically EVERYTHING of Tim's...even his packaging! haha Thanks for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candy, welcome to the Compendium of Curiosities Challenge! I'm just delighted that you've joined in, and I have to say, your debut piece is spectacular!

    I love how you used Tim's packaging up-cycle idea to create this lovely keepsake! The photos are wonderful- I got a little misty seeing three generations of your family with Santa! Your use of the Rock Candy is perfect, and the sweet details you've added are so wisely chosen. My gosh, what a treasure you've made!

    I hope you have a wonderful holiday, and that you'll be back for Challenge 25!

    --Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Linda so much for the nice compliments on my entry into your Compendium of Curiousities Challenge #24. This piece was fun to do and not only did I get to actually DO the new technqiue but now I have a neat new nostalgic piece that hopefully will be handed down to my children someday!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy that you stopped by my blog! I truly appreciate your time and thank you for leaving a comment! Have a wonderfully blessed day!